• Soak urdu dhal in water for 4 hours (not too much water)
• Add salt, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and grind in to a paste (not too smooth)
• Add onion pieces, and cumin seeds and mix well
• Add baking soda, butter, and wheat flour and mix in to a dough.
• Keep the dough in the fridge for 1/2 hour
• Make the dough in to balls and flatten them to 1 1/2 cm thick discs and make a hole in the centre of each.
• Deep fry in hot oil until they are golden brown in color.
• Drain off excess oil and serve with coconut chutney.