BITTER GOURD TOMATO CURRY
• Cut bitter gourd crosswise into circles, remove the seeds and wash them with saltwater to remove excess bitterness.
• Dice onions into small pieces and cut chillies into halves.
• Heat oil in a deep frying pan, add mustard and allow it to crackle.
• Add onions, green chillies, curry leaves and cook until onions turn slightly brown in colour.
• Add bitter gourd pieces, all powders and salt. Mix well and evenly coat all the ingredients.
• Sprinkle water and cover the deep frying pan with a lid to steam the bitter gourd for 10-15 minutes.
• Stir intermittently and add more water if required.
• Once the bitter gourd is almost cooked, add the tomato puree and mix well.
• Cook the mixture until the bitter gourd absorbs the tomato flavour.
• Add finely chopped coriander leaves just before removing from heat.
• Serve this with hot rice, dhal curry, or any other fried vegetables.